Tuesday, December 30, 2008

MAGFest is close.

It is now December 30th, so as some of you may know, MAGFest is very close now. This means hordes of people and lack of sleep for the next four days, but I think it will be fine. On a related note, it seems that Twin Galaxies is going to make an appearance at the event. For those who don't know, this is the organization that claims to be the "official" world record site for gaming or some such. Keyword is "claims," because Twin Galaxies is a joke.

Regardless though, it could be amusing to see what happens when SDA members and Twin Galaxies members meet each other. Or better yet, what happens when those guys see the two panels set up for SDA at MAGFest. "Boo! Hiss! WE are the official record keepers because Guinness says so!" Oh, this could be fun.

Anyway, I've made sure to make a checklist of items to bring and take back from the event, so I shouldn't have any of that "ARGH! I forgot Mr. Snuggles!" crap. The checklist changes as I think of more things, but as of right now, the bag I'll be taking seems like it will weigh a ton. It's better to be prepared though.

Two of the obvious items on that checklist are Shin Ankoku and my DS Lite (no DSi for me, thanks). I'm still completely serious about attempting a run while I'm there, but the camera that Nate is providing (as in, I'm going to borrow) has a technical problem of some sort. He can't get the thing to power on, so it's either a problem with the camera itself or the battery. The battery is the cheaper fix to try, so he bought a new one and had it shipped to Mike's house. If this battery really does the trick, then I hope to return with good news about the run. If it doesn't fix the problem, many gigafrowns will be had.

Speaking of Shin Ankoku, you may or may not have noticed that someone was kind enough to comment on my 15.43 post. I would like to draw attention to that fact because the guy is planning to do a single-segment run of the game, and I would like for those of you who have advice to maybe pitch in an idea or two. I know this suggestion hasn't worked in the past, but a "shout-out" of sorts seems like a good way to raise awareness (at least). Honestly, I haven't given a ton of thought to specific plans outside of the segmented pure speed category, so I probably won't be able to help all that much. This is where you (the reader) come in...hopefully.

Also on the list are all three Kessen games and my Playstation 2, since I plan to spread the joy of that series to at least one new person. For those of you who look at my YouTube channel from time to time (thanks) and are wondering "when will these Kessen III videos end," I can somewhat safely say that the uploads will be completed at some time during MAGFest. There are 34 battles in total, but I made something like 38 videos in all. Please don't hate me for this.

I plan to take a lot of pictures and/or record videos at the event, so you may want to check back here on January 4th (some late hour) or 5th if that sort of thing interests you. Also worth mentioning that if someone who is reading this right now is also going to MAGFest, you should look for me. I'll obviously be with the SDA crowd, and I'll probably be the only one in the group wearing a button-up long-sleeve shirt or checkered sweater.

I think I'm done with this post. I'll save my rambling about various other games for a later date, so as to not crowd this one any further. Wish me luck at the event (please?) and I'll be back here to go on about it sometime soon.

3 comments:

Yako said...

Thanks for the shout out. Good luck with the FE run come MAGfest, I'd love to see a vid of it. I've put my SS run on hold until you come back from MAGfest, because Marth levelling up properly is beginning to annoy me. It seems like so many times I have to restart because Marth doesn't like me. So in the meantime, I'm doing a segmented run instead to see if I can help you cut some time off. So far, I have a few really small tips. First off, trade with Frey in P2 instead of P3. He's only one (diagonal) square away in P2 as opposed to 2 squares away in P3, so it's slightly less than a second quicker. The other idea I have is that you don't have to move Jagen (sorry, I'm on the E version and I don't know the J names. :P) on the bridge in chapter 2, you just have to get lucky in C5. Also, if your SPD ALWAYS increases when you level up, then you don't have to crit the C3 Boss, you'll double-strike him. But yeah, it's a lot of work for saving sbout 1 second that it takes to switch to the Rapier. But if you saved at the save point (which I'm not sure you did), but it saves a few more seconds. That's where I am so far. It'd be helpful if you could post either your 15:47 chapter save times, or the epilogue movie of your 15:47, so I could have some times to work with. So far my save times are as follows:

P1 - 0:35
P2 - 1:01
P3 - 1:40
P4 - 2:40
C1 - 3:15
C2 - 3:50

My C3 time will probably be slower than yours, my Marth levels when I kill the archer. :/

Yako said...

Happy New Year by the way!

Yako said...

For Chapter 4, if you have 14 STR, you can kill the Boss with double Steel Sword, meaning that if you had max SPD for Chapter 3, you don't have to re-equip the Rapier until the end of Chapter 5, which would save a second or two.